Seeking insights on online SQL exercise platform for live coding

Hello community,

I am currently in the process of creating an interactive course exercise on SQL basic commands and I’m seeking your valuable insights and past experiences.

One aspect I’m grappling with is the choice of a platform for live coding during exercises, specifically for basic SQL commands.
I want to provide a seamless experience for students without requiring them to install any MySQL IDE, opting instead for writting SQL statements interactively on their web browsers, connected to my database of choice.

Have any of you delivered an online SQL course with a similar approach before? If so, could you kindly share your experiences and recommendations for platforms that facilitated live coding directly in the web browser? I’m particularly interested in simple and user-friendly platform for practicing basic SQL command during exercises.

Your insights will be immensely helpful, and I appreciate any guidance or suggestions you can provide.

Thank you.
Chris Maronga

2 Likes

I recommend the W3C SQL online tutorial, which accompanies with interactive online exercises for trying out the SQL queries. It includes exercises and quizzes, and touches on different implementations by various major DB products.

2 Likes

This is a bit of a hack, but I wonder if you could use learnr plus quarto (or even r markdown with SQL chunks) to build the exercise? That might work?

For generally just checking / testing SQL code is correctly syntaxed, I’ve used the link mentioned below in the other comment.

1 Like

Thank you Amy, good idea and I know this might take some time to put together. I shall give it a go and let you know if it was a success.

1 Like

Thank you so much Chan for the suggestion. I have interacted with this website before, I am not sure if it’s possible to create and use your own database within itself instead of using the provided ones. I will explore the latter and let you know how I fair on.

Thank you
Chris